November 14, 2012

Inspired Running Members Only Interview

I belong to a running group called "Inspired Running". 
It is based out of Richland where my Aunt Pam lives. 
I got involved with them when Pam did a phone interview several months ago. 
Christy is the coach, and she asked me to be the guest speaker/phone call for November. 
I was honored to do this. 
It was a very emotional call.
 I love telling my story about how I got started with fitness. 

She sent me a list of questions that we would be talking about. 
Below are the questions and how I answered them before the call. 

Christy posted this Wednesday morning. 
  • Tonight at 5:30 p.m. PST I'll be talking with our very own Teri Schmidt-Wiley about her story of becoming a runner.

    Teri started running at 43 as a way to honor her dad and fight a family history of heart disease. Before that, as she says, "She never exercised a day in her life." She'll be sharing her story of how she went from not exercising at all to training for a marathon!


    Questions

    Age: 46

    What inspired you to start running?
    Well is all started with my dad. He died at the age of 43 of a heart attack. I have always feared the year I turned 43. Well 2009-2010 was the year I turned 43. So I had decided in my mind that I needed to do something to honor him and come to find out it is changing my life.

    July of 2009, Every year the STP (Seattle to Portland -204 mile bicycle ride) goes by my house. Well that year when they were riding thru Chehalis I said I wanted to do it. I told Denny I wanted to do it, I can't remember what he said. Im sure he laughed just like most of the people I said it to did. I texted Renee (my boss and friend) that I wanted to do it. Im sure after laughing.... She texted me back that she would hold me to it.
    I said OK.

      Now what you need to know about me is ... I have NEVER really exercised a day in my life. I also was a smoker for most of my adult life. So for me to say I wanted to ride a bike 204 miles, NO-ONE thought I would last a month of training.

    I did it and it was awesome. After doing the STP 2010, I needed something else to keep me in shape, also needed another challenge. So I decided to start running.

    What was your biggest hesitation/fear when you first started out?
    Thinking that I couldn’t run. I used to get little like panic attacks when it came to pushing myself and doing something new.
    What keeps you running now?
    A big reason I keep running is my Aunt Pam. She started on this journey with me. We push each other to keep going, and when one of us decides to do an event the other one gets on board. We have done lots of things together.

      What's your favorite running memory?
     Getting my family into the sport. Over the last couple of years more and more of my family members have been doing some of the events with Pam and I.

    What's been your biggest challenge and how have you overcome it?

    I would have problems breathing, like I was going to hyperventilate. I got over it by just doing whatever I was doing at the time, and remembering it isn’t how fast I do it just that I’m out here doing it.

    What's your favorite motivation trick?
    My body and the way I feel and look. I also write a blog, and I’m always thinking of what I’m going to post next.
    Time is cited as the #1 obstacle for starting to run, how do you create the time to run? I get up really early.
     People always make fun of me for going to bed so early, until I tell them I get up at 4am every morning.
    Do you listen to music?
    If so, what's your favorite running song? Yes I listen to music; I have a wide range of songs that I listen to, country, pop and some rock. All of it up beat so I can run to the tempo.
    Do you use an app, programs or other resources to keep you going?
    The girls in my office one year got me a Nike running watch. I love it. I can upload it onto my computer after each run. I helps me with my pace, shows me how far I have run and even tells me how many calories I have burned.
    I have signed up for a Chi running class and also the 24 week training to do a full marathon.

     What's the first piece of advice you'd give to a beginning runner?
       I just can stress enough on “it’s not how fast you do it just that you are out there doing something for yourself.
    What else do you want to share with the community?
    Remember every step you take is an adventure.
    Enjoy everything you do, and always try and have a positive attitude.


    Below if a link to listen to my call. 
    It is about 48 mins.
    I hope my story inspires you to get off the couch and do something.